Friday, December 17, 2010

Giving from the Heart!!

One week till Christmas. As I reflect on years past, I recall smiles, joy and excitement! The anticipation of giving joy to someone. Letting them know in a tangible way that I want them to experience fun, joy and happiness and love.

It is in giving that we receive. It is in loving that we experience love. The spirit of the Season is just that. Love is an action of giving and of sharing from your heart to another. It is that easy. The gift is not a reflection of how much money was spent. When we tune in to another's desire we can give that to them in some way. We are showing love.

The best gifts, I truly believe are those that have meaning behind them. One year, as a young child, I remember my mom was on a diet and I wanted to give her a gift she could use. I went to the grocery store and bought her some nice red apples! They fit my budget, and showed my love and desire for her dreams to come true. It was my sentiment represented in a loving way.

My youngest daughter was the first to put gifts under our tree this year. She has not gone to the store. Money has nothing to do with her gifts. I do not know what is there physically. But I do know there is a piece of her heart wrapped to each one of us. It may be her favorite toy, or something she knows one of us can use or would like. They may be something she drew, painted or made. And in her purely loving spirit they are pure love. Her joy, and little explanation of "I knew you would like this, or you can use this when" is a true gift of giving.

Perhaps, each of us can consider ways to do the same in our lives. Is there a way, you can give in a very substantial way something that another would really appreciate? Maybe it is their favorite meal, cookie, pie or special family recipe cooked to perfection. Perhaps it is something of yours that they have always admired. Maybe it is a developing or deeper relationship. There are many who would love to have company or a visit. Is there a family member or friend that you have neglected to nurture in your relationship together. Offer to bring lunch, ask them to go to lunch or shopping. Take a routine activity and make it fun. Offer to start going for a walk together daily or once a week. Make a weekly date to get together. Imagine the possibilities. You will be creating the same anticipation of Christmas day any day of the year. Who is the giver? Who is the receiver? :) I believe just as on Christmas Morning, true joy, love and everlasting memories of comfort and joy can be shared any day of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment